Thursday, November 15, 2012

Cricut Halloweens

My Christmas projects are being worked on little by little at night, so I decided to share some of my Halloween memories. Since my Cricut and I joined forces almost 3 years ago, I have successfully claimed a title in 3 office competitions. Now, I'm not a HUGE Halloween person. I also don't really care for the blood and gore effects. So, to win these things, we have to be creative. 

The first and second year were office decoration competitions that my respective departments won. As a group, we decided on a theme and then typically I obsess over it because I want it to be awesome. 

Year 1: Pac-Man 

Josh and I had just moved in together and we were sharing an extra bedroom as our work spaces. I am completely positive that he hated me and my Cricut for the amount of noise that we made and the trail of paper scraps that were all over the floor. 

I used/made svg files to use with my Cricut and SCAL program to make some awesome Ghosts, fruit, and "Pac-Man Pellets." We used blue streamers all over the cubes create a maze image and then blew up a TON of yellow ballons to put on top of the cubes as the pellets that Pac Man Collects. As a group we were shirts in the colors of the ghosts. It was so much fun. Here are some pictures. 




Year 2: Wizard of OZ:

The theme isn't that original, but I was out-voted. I'm over it. The decorating for this went WAY beyond Cricuting - but it was the Cricut accents that make it special for me :) 

My "happy little bluebird" were cut on blue vinyl so I could peel and stick on the cube widows. I loved them. 

I also made on all the lollipops for munchkin land on the Cricut.

You can't have a Wizard of Oz theme without a Tornado - and this was the easiest way I could think to come up with one. My favorite par there was the trail of words. It's not the easiest to see, but as you walk down the hall way to our department, you leave the Marketing department to enter Sales. The words read "We're not in Marketing anymore..." I cut it out of Vinyl and when I put it on the wall I didn't attach it flat so it looked a little wind blown. 
There are too many details about everything we did to share without boring you, but the star of the decorations was definitely the flying monkeys. You can see them here in the background. I used and image of a flying monkey to make an SVG file and cut a bunch out of them for the wicked witches' lair. 

Winner! Again :)

Year 3: Angry Birds

This year was TOTALLY last minute. I started a new job about 4 months earlier and had no intentions of doing the Halloween thing. When they announced at 2PM the day BEFORE Halloween that we were going to have a contest, my team and I had to think of something quick! Angry Birds was perfect. I made 5 masks and a sign in one night. WOAH. Every time I got to a new "phase" of the mask making I had to show it off to Josh. He typically doesn't care, but I got a few smiles out of him. 

 

After such a good showing at the contest, one of my co-workers commissioned me to make some for her grandson. The problem with making these for kids is that I didn't think they would last very long. I made a new set, didn't attach the beaks, ran them through the laminator and THEN attached the beaks. It required a little more thought that way, but they are way more durable. I attached the beaks using a tab from the laminated material folded over then used a brad to keep them attached. Now, they can ship flat and be ready to wear in seconds. 



 The little boy I tested them on looked so stinkin' cute!! 

Some of the eyebrows, etc I just cut by hand. I do have all the svg files I used for the angry bird masks. If you are interested, let me know.

*Andrea*







No comments:

Post a Comment